Shipping Oversized Freight Overseas: 7 Questions
If you’re an old pro at shipping oversized freight by cargo vessel, or if you’re a newbie. Even if you’ve shipped the same thing to the same place before, international shipping rules can change and you need to make sure you don’t make a big (had to say it) mistake. If you’re looking at a monster-object in your warehouse, three things come to your anxious mind:
- It’s so big
- It’s odd-shaped
- It’s going overseas
7 Questions We Get Most From Clients Shipping Oversized Freight Overseas
You have a lot of choices when shipping across the continental U.S. However, there are fewer companies that can help when it comes to sending heavy machinery (like bulldozers and excavators) or artwork, furniture, trucks, buses and more to foreign ports. It’s more complicated and requires expert, creative problem-solving. These are the questions we get most. The answers are below.
- It’s not going to fit in a container. Now what?
- How do I get the cargo to or from the port from the middle of the U.S.?
- Someone said I needed a flat rack. Do I need to load or secure the cargo to the flat rack or can you take care of that?
- How do I measure my cargo correctly?
- Should I take out extra insurance? It’s expensive.
- How long will it take to get there?
- How do I get the shipment to an inland customer once it’s shipped to the overseas port?
Shipping oversized cargo overseas requires knowledge and a firm handle on both the domestic and the international requirements for moving oversized freight on the ocean and to and from the port successfully. Not every company that does it can do it well, nor are they able to provide personalized service and creative solutions. Besides forwarding freight, the company itself should be one you respect and that you like working with. Call us, but check out what our clients say about us first!
Oversized cargo should not create oversized headaches!
Choose the right logistics company.
Experience the BGI difference
Please: Call our offices at 1-800-987-4244 for more information.